Leaky ducts can cost you $200 or more a year.
Does your home have a room that is too hot in the summer or too cold in the winter? The culprit may be leaky ducts. In a typical home, about 20% of the air that moves through the duct system is lost because of improper installation.
SRP's Duct Test and Repair rebate helps you identify places in your home where energy escapes. Our rebate program offers up to $75 toward duct testing and up to $175 for qualified repairs. To qualify for the rebate all test and repairs must be completed by BPI-certified contractor.
Testing and repair costs
For a typical home, testing can range from $100 to $450 and repairs normally cost $300 to $1,000. Houses and equipment can vary; therefore, actual costs may be higher or lower. In the example below, we've calculated an average customer's out-of-pocket costs (including the SRP rebate) for testing and repair services.
Example of customer out-of-pocket costs
Your ductwork repairs include
- Sealing plenums, elbows, inside of supply boot at the flex or sheet metal.
- Sealing starting collars at all branch ducts on returns and supply boxes.
- Sealing all air leaks at the refrigerant lines connecting to the evaporator.
- Sealing all high and low voltage connections to the indoor/outdoor equipment.
- Sealing all drain/refrigerant line gaps through structural penetrations.
- Removing all ceiling/sidewall registers and return air grille to caulk between sheetrock and metal boxes.
- Replacing return air box and/or grill if it is undersized and the system has a high static pressure.*
- Insulating all bare exposed metal supply and return air ducts and plenums.
- Sealing open holes behind wall thermostats.
- Sealing all return air chases from lower floor walls to attic with fiber duct board or sheetrock and mastic.
- Sealing all equipment platforms in closets or garages.
- Replacing equipment door panel seals as needed or seal equipment panels with UL foil tape.
Program details and requirements
- Must be a permanent SRP residential electric customer with a central AC system or heat pump.
- New construction homes and evaporative coolers are ineligible.
- Duct test and qualified repairs must be performed by a Building Performance Institute (BPI)-certified, licensed Valley contractor. A referral can be provided by calling the SRP Certified Contractor Program at (602) 274-6808.
- Test and all repairs must be completed by April 30, 2014.
- Must allow SRP or our agent to inspect repairs, upon request, to verify compliance with all rebate requirements.
- Mail a completed rebate application and a dated copy of the paid invoice to:
SRP Duct Test and Repair Rebate Program
2702 N. Third St., Suite 2020
Phoenix, AZ 85004
- Customers who participate in the SRP Home Performance with ENERGY STAR® program will not receive $75 for air-duct testing. The service is a part of the assessment and is excluded from the SRP Duct Test and Repair Rebate Program.
- SRP reserves the right to change or cancel this promotion or its terms and conditions at any time.
*Contractors may recommend increasing and adding additional return air ducts before sealing ducts. Homeowners who decline a contractor's recommendation to properly size the duct system, prior to duct sealing, may reduce the air conditioning systems cooling capacity and this could cause energy costs to increase.